Thursday 27 August 2015

Things I Love Lately

I love August! Having spent most of the summer holidays in Spain, I've spent the last few weeks of August catching up with friends and family and having lovely days out. It's also the month of Robbie's birthday which I always look forward to and love planning for. It's also the month when I plan to do lots of clearing out before returning to school but I'm afraid that hasn't happened so far. I take this as a sign that we've been having too much fun-there's always half-term! 

Beauty

Having not had the need to wear make-up whilst on holiday, I was delighted to find this Estée Lauder's Enlighten range for €25 as opposed to £35 at home. It gives a lovely dewy effect with just enough coverage and teamed with Benefit's What's Up I can at least pretend I'm still on holiday. 

I am also rediscovering Kiehl's Creme de Corps whipped body butter which has such a scrummy smell and feels divine on my skin.
                            


Fashion

I'm afraid I'm still clinging onto summer and refusing to go into a winter wardrobe yet- it is only August after all so still summer, right? However, the cooler weather lately has meant I've had to layer up so was delighted when I unearthed this khaki green leather biker jacket in TK Maxx last week. It's perfect for now but will see me through the autumn and next spring. Whilst I'm not ready to go into full length trousers yet, these denim culottes from River Island have been perfect for cooler days. 
                                             

I'm not a big fan of jeans- I just can't seem to find a pair which suit me-but I do love denim. Another TK Maxx find, this dress has has been great for the not so hot and sunny days along with my fringed boots from-yes, you guessed-good old TK's! My star bag was bought in Spain earlier this month. 
                                 
                           

Home 

Having been recently inspired by a similar light at Cairn Bay Lodge, I was delighted to find this one this week and I find it's being switched on earlier and earlier lately as the evenings become darker much sooner. All items form TK Maxx but mugs and tray available from Emma Bridgewater. 
                        


                                     

As I always dread the end of the school holidays, this cushion caught my eye and cheered me up. You can buy here at TK Maxx.

                                    


Food

After an entire summer of eating out I was determined to get back on a healthy eating track and that lasted for approximately 1 whole day! Willpower isn't one of my strongest traits and so when I have the option of eating out I'm afraid I usually go for the tastiest option-which isn't always the healthiest. This  was one healthy choice I made at The Starfish Cafe-granola, Greek yoghurt, honey and poached fruits- yummy! 
                           


                                
On a recent day out to 'The Funny Farm' with some lovely colleagues and our kids, a tasty picnic lunch was followed by an even tastier traditional 'fish and chips' supper in the seaside town of Newcastle. This is what I love about being off on holiday-no need to rush home for a routine tea-time.




                            
Last weekend we popped down to the Culture Day as part of the Open House Festival in Bangor and had a delicious 'bacon and sausage butty' in the unusual setting of an old London double-decker. I was tempted to tuck into some of the tasty tray bakes and buns on offer but managed to restrain myself!                 
                             


         
                         

                                     
                                      (Photo by Janine Boyd)


My 'healthy eating' (ha ha) continued with Robbie's birthday party last weekend with chocolate cake all round! 

                                         


                               

Lastly, Robbie received tickets for The Little Shop of Horrors at Strand Arts Centre as a birthday present and it was just the tonic the night before the dreaded return to work on Tuesday. It was hard to believe that the entire performance came together in just 3 weeks, so slick was the acting, singing, choreography and set design-a really enjoyable show. 



                                   
I'm linking up with Life at Little Wood so head over there to have a look at other August 'loves'.

No comments:

Post a Comment